Friday, April 16, 2010

A week in Revue

A week in revue,

On Tuesday morning I found out that an old friend of mine lost 2 of her 4 children in a housefire the night before in my hometown. One of the 2 adults in the home had thrown out a cigarette on the front porch and it ended up rolling under the deck starting some debris on fire. It was really windy out, and once it started the wind basically pushed the fire directly into the house. She was able to get her youngest children out, ages 4 and 6, but could not get to her two oldest Devynn 8 and Sierra 10 who were sleeping on the second floor of the house. I used to watch these two when they were babys. Remember going to the hospital to meet Devynn the day he was born. I know my friend is going to be blaming herself for this for the rest of her life. My heart completely breaks for her and her family, she’s as devoted of a mother as they get.

Do me a favor guys, check your smoke alarms.

On a lighter note, seems that Washington on Thursday night released a statement by Obama instructing the Health and Human Services Department to draft rules requiring federally subsidized hospitals to grant all patients the right to designate people who can visit and consult with them at crucial moments. We’ve all heard horror stories of people’s loved ones dying alone because some places bar homosexual partners from visitation rights. Part of me is happy for this, but in all reality it pisses me off because 1.) something that fucking lame should never have been allowed to happen in the first place, and 2.) Glad that you could finally do something to throw the homosexual community a fucking bone, Obama. I’ve not ever been barred from a former lover’s hospital room in the past and I live in the damn Midwest. Guess something is better than nothing.




Found out today that the Smashing Pumpkins are getting ready to issue the first of 11, 4-song Eps starting next month. I think that this is a cool way of issuing music, as well as the fact that they are listing the full songs for free on the internet at http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/. By the end of the day, the first full EP will be available to download for free and both a cd and vynil version will be made available to independent record stores in May. A very cool way to help support the small music retailers still in existance. I’ll be heading down to Drastic Plastic tomorrow so I can Pre-order.



On a personal note, all has been going good for good ole’ Heat. Decided that I’m going to attempt at a month of seclusion, no drinking, hit up some therapy sessions, tan, and start working out like a maniac. Down 15 lbs from 3 months ago, so it's a start. Figured that would be a good attempt at getting some of my finer feelings back.

Be good kids, have a great weekend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I thought the same thing about the Obama deal. Hope this isn't his attempt to appease us so he can go on and ignore us now for the rest of his term.

Veruca Ray Ray said...

I'm all for new Pumpkins music, but since my favorite song is Hummer, and since the last video by them i loved is ava adore, i'm feeling mighty old. who's in the group now?